New Jersey Birth Injury Lawyers
recovering compensation for victims of birth injuries in NJ
Sometimes the negligence of a medical professional can result in irreparable physical damage to your newborn infant. Often, signs of the damage will not be evident until the child is older. Whether you notice problems with your baby right away or as time goes on, you may be entitled to compensation for your child’s birth injuries.
Our New Jersey birth injury attorneys at Bendit Weinstock, P.A. know how difficult and emotionally trying it can be to deal with the repercussions of injuries caused by neglectful medical staff. We make it our business to help families like yours get the compensation they deserve to cover current and future medical expenses.
Speak to one of our New Jersey birth injury lawyers by calling (973) 736-9800 and scheduling a case evaluation. We are located in West Orange, Union City, and Edison and serve clients throughout New Jersey.
Birth Injuries Can Be Minor or Major
Many terrible things can happen when doctors and nurses are not doing their job correctly. During the labor and delivery process, it is particularly important to properly evaluate and treat the mother and infant. When this does not occur, injuries can result. The infant can be born with minor injuries, such as small cuts and facial and head bruising. Injuries resulting from mistakes made by medical staff can also be more critical, including nerve damage and brain damage from oxygen deprivation.
Mistakes made by medical professionals during labor and delivery can include:
- Oxygen deprivation during delivery
- Not realizing the baby is distressed
- Not performing a C-section in a timely manner
- Incorrectly assuming the size the baby
- Using too much force during delivery
- Failing to diagnose and disclose a serious genetic condition
Types of Birth Injuries
Some of the most common types of birth injuries include:
- Cerebral Palsy: Often caused by oxygen deprivation during labor/delivery, cerebral palsy is a group of disorders. The condition affects the affected individual’s ability to move, as well as his/her muscle tone and posture. Symptoms in infants and young children may include stiffness, “floppiness,” poor or exaggerated reflexes, involuntary movements, muscle spasms, and more.
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE): HIE occurs when an infant does not receive enough oxygen/blood flow to the brain during labor or birth, resulting in brain damage. The affected infant may also suffer organ damage in addition to brain damage. HIE can be treated effectively if caught early enough.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries: The brachial plexus is a bundle of nerves near the shoulder which can be damaged during the birthing process. An infant with a brachial plexus injury, such as shoulder dystocia, may be unable to use his or her hand, arm, or shoulder on the affected side. Depending on the degree of injury, brachial plexus injuries may be treatable and may even heal completely.
- Seizure Disorders: An infant may develop a seizure disorder, such as epilepsy, as a result of oxygen deprivation or reduced blood flow during or immediately after birth. Additionally, seizure disorders can result from untreated infections and other forms of birth trauma.
- Vacuum/Forceps Injuries: In cases of assisted birth, a doctor may accidentally injure an infant by misusing a vacuum extractor or forceps. This can lead to minor surface injuries, such as cuts and scrapes, as well as major internal injuries, such as brain trauma or broken bones. Sometimes, vacuum/forceps injuries also lead to temporary facial paralysis or nerve damage.
- Cephalohematoma: Cephalohematoma occurs when there is bleeding beneath the infant’s cranial bone. Left untreated, cephalohematoma can lead to serious complications, such as jaundice, which should be treated immediately.
Note that this list is not exhaustive; if your child suffered any type of injury or complication during a difficult pregnancy, labor, or delivery and you believe a medical professional is at fault, contact the birth injury lawyers in New Jersey at Bendit Weinstock, P.A. to find out how we can help.
Bendit Weinstock Fights for Children Born with Birth Injuries
Our New Jersey birth injury attorneys realize the need to right a wrongdoing and are on the side of the families of children who are victims of birth injuries. We spend the time to gather the necessary documentation, speak to witnesses, and consult with experts to strengthen your case. It is important to speak to an attorney as soon as you notice your child is having problems so that we can work toward getting your medical expenses covered.
Contact our practiced New Jersey birth injury lawyers at Bendit Weinstock, P.A. at (973) 736-9800. We have been helping families in New Jersey for 60+ years.
Negligent Storage of Drugs $5,400,000
Lasik Surgery Malpractice (5 cases) $4,257,273
Hospital Malpractice $4,000,000
Orthopedic Malpractice $3,942,208
Emergency Room Malpractice $3,615,000
Emergency Room Malpractice $3,250,000
Birth Trauma $3,000,000
Surgical Malpractice $3,000,000
Failure to Diagnose Preeclampsia $2,600,000
Wrongful Birth $2,600,000
Personalized AttentionOur lawyers treat every client with the highest respect and handle cases personally instead of passing them off to a paralegal.
Results-Driven ApproachOur attorneys are committed advocates for our clients.
Award-Winning AttorneysOur experienced attorneys have been widely recognized for their excellence within their respective legal fields.
Experience on Your SideFounded in 1957, we are proud to be one of the oldest and most experienced law firms in the state.
Bendit Weinstock, P.A. is a premier firm in New Jersey representing clients in a variety of legal matters. Established in 1957, it is one of the oldest and most experienced law firms in the state.